2011年5月11日 星期三

[Art]/[Tribute] May, 11th - Martha Graham's Birthday


"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open.
... No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham

The first part of the quotations (the parts before the new line of ...No artist is pleased) is one of the quotations that I gathered for my IB Theatre Arts journal entry... whenever I read her quotation, I would feel there's a valid reason - a reason for existence - a reason to be remain who I am - a reason to let myself shine without much fear... 
This is not to say I'll become egotistical, but the small boost of self-confidence was really important in letting myself go, letting myself free of my fears/concerns of how others might've viewed me. 

After all, how can you give up when you haven't even tried? 

A shriveled blossom is not beautiful. It's only beautiful when it shows the world its color(s). (visuallyl and characteristically speaking) 

Thank you - Martha Graham... for your words of wisdom, guidance, your contributions as a truly amazing dancer: 
"I have spent all my life with dance and being a dancer. It's permitting life to use you in a very intense way. Sometimes it is not pleasant. Sometimes it is fearful. But nevertheless it is inevitable." 

This leads me to a thought that can be related with this quotation from Hamlet: 


Hamlet: 
Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.
Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 239–251

For those who didn't regard arts as something that could be great, useful, worthy to be a career, I wonder what have caused them to think so?

As proven by Martha Graham, she can dance to greatness -

Art itself (visual or performing) is good - but it seems like in many societies, people's prejudicies have labelled art to be something worthless to pursue... 

I wonder if one day people would give more attention to how art changes the world, gradually. 

Changes happen - but it needs to be noticed to have impact. 

I'm thankful to have you in this world, Martha Graham. 

Dancers, dance on! (Professionals and amateurs alike!) 
Artists (Dreamers), dream on.. the world needs your expression. ;) 

沒有留言:

張貼留言